Sunday, February 1, 2015

Hatch # 4 Complete

 
Hatch number 4 had a 50% hatch rate and I am happy with this hatch.  These eggs were gathered daily during cold temperature's with several day's having 40 degree or less weather.  Several eggs felt cold when gathered, but I was willing to take a chance and a few did hatch as I placed an X on the cold egg. 
 
Among the 48 eggs; 7 were clear, 8 had embryos, and 9 appeared to be fully developed but didn't hatch.  Disappointing to see those fully developed chicks and not hatch. 
 
  I have the thermostat adjusted to 99.5° F and the hatch began on the 20th day and continued into the 21st day.  Most of the bantams hatched on the 20th day and this happens while I use sitting hens on bantam eggs. 
 
This batch of chicks consist of Black, Gold, Red, and White Phoenix, Blue Sumatra, Blue Orpington, and Speckled Sussex.
 
The incubator was cleaned and hatch # 5 began this afternoon.  I am still dealing with the cold weather and I know a few of these eggs became chilled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment